Local councils have a hugely important role to play in the onward and macro-devolution agendas.
If devolution plans are to be successful they must include communities, neighbourhoods and parishes.
Devolution deals are often economically focused and can be far from local. Agreements to devolve powers and funding away from Whitehall have not addressed important issues relating to local democracy, power and finance.
Whilst NALC welcomes the opportunity to play an active role in the devolution agenda, in November 2015, a Devo Local White Paper was published which calls for stronger local democracy, more powers and fairer funding.
Devo Plus Toolkit
The Devo Plus toolkit, published by NALC in December 2016, is endorsed by the Local Government Association, County Councils’ Network, District Councils’ Network and National Council for Voluntary Organisations and puts into context the sector’s role within the wider devolution agenda.
The toolkit explores the how and why of devolution and alongside three case studies looks at ways in which all town and parish councils can play their part alongside important financial and legal considerations.
The links below are pecific devolution related toolkits, materials and information developed by NALC and other national stakeholders since 2013.
- NALC and LGA - Modelling Devolution: Working Together to Deliver Local Services (2013)
- DCLG – Devolution Deals: The Role of Neighbourhoods (2015)
- NALC - Devo Plus Toolkit (2016)
- NALC – CALC Letter Template (2016)
- NALC Annual Conference – Devolution Presentation Slides Cllr Lillian Burns (2016)
- CPRE – Devolution Discussion Paper (2016)
- CPRE – Devolution Discussion Paper Update (2017)
- Newport Pagnell Town Council - Practical guide to taking on devolved services
- Life after a unitary reorganisation
Case study information
The links below are specific onward devolution toolkits, charters and materials generated from local areas across England since 2015 which will be of use and interest to local councils.
- Cambridgeshire County Council – Strategy for Building Resilient Communities (2015)
- Gloucestershire County Council – Onward Devolution (2015)
- Cornwall Council – Localism Strategy (2016)
- Dorset County Council – Working Together Highways Strategy (2016)
- East Anglia – Devolution Consultation (2016)
- Oxfordshire County Council - Giving Communities Control over Local Services (2016)
- Swindon Borough Council – Parishes Programme (2016)
- Peterborough City Council – Parish Charter (2015 )
- Worcestershire County Council – Councils Working Together (2015)
- Worcestershire County Council – Act Local (2016)