The Joint Panel on Accountability and Governance (JPAG) is responsible for issuing proper practices about the governance and accounts of smaller authorities. Its membership consists of sector representatives from the National Association of Local Councils, the Society of Local Council Clerks and the Association of Drainage Authorities. Together with stakeholder partners representing the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government, the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy, the National Audit Office, and a representative of the external audit firms appointed to smaller authorities. NALC provides the secretariat to the JPAG.
JPAG’s members are as follows:
- Phil Camamile, Water Management Alliance (independent chair)
- Derek Kemp, National Association of Local Councils (vice-chair)
- Crispin Taylor, Society of Local Council Clerks
- Karen Daft, Association of Drainage Authorities
- Geoffrey Whitby, Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government
- Paul Lambert, Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- Laura Deery, Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy
- Andrew Kendrick, National Audit Office
- Rebecca Plane, Smaller Authorities’ Auditors Group
- Mike Attenborough-Cox, Smaller Authorities’ Audit Appointments Ltd (independent member)
The Practitioners’ Guide is issued by the Joint Panel on Accountability and Governance (JPAG) to support the preparation by smaller authorities in England of statutory annual accounting and governance statements found in the Annual Governance and Accountability Return (AGAR).
This 2020 edition of the guide applies to Annual Governance and Accountability Returns in respect of financial years commencing on or after 1 April 2020. As there are no changes to the guidance, simply clarification of proper practices, it can be applied to Annual Governance and Accountability Returns covering the period 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021.
JPAG meetings will take place on 24 February 2020, 22 June 2020 and 9 November 2020