By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://www.nalc.gov.uk/
NALC supports The Great British High Street 2016
The Great British High Street Competition is a Government and business-led initiative which celebrates our nation’s much-loved high streets. Now in its third year, it showcases the people, businesses and partnerships that are putting their high street at the heart of their communities.
The 2015 Competition was a huge success. Over 230 high streets took part and the campaign to find the winners made a huge dent in the public consciousness, with over 200,000 votes cast for the finalists. This year, the Competition is back and it is bigger and better, with new categories and new awards for individuals, our ‘High Street Heroes’, who have made a special effort to support their high street.
NALC is encouraging all local (parish and town) councils, neighbourhoods and communities to enter The Great British High Street Competition.
Once nominations are received, finalists will be selected from each category and local people will be asked to vote for their winners. An expert judge will also visit each high street to help decide the winners, who will share a cash prize and also receive training from Google. High Street Heroes will also win prizes. The deadline for applications is 9 September 2016.
The 2016 categories are:
- Village – population between 500 to 2,500 residents
- Local centre - precinct or parade of shops
- Market Towns – small – population of less than 10,000
- Market Towns – large – population between 10,000 - 30,000
- Town Centre - population of more than 30,000
- City Location - population of more than 200,000
- Coastal Community
- Rising Star - to recognise towns that are turning fortunes around
For Individuals (High Street Heroes):
- Best store manager or employee from a national retailer / organisation
- Best store manager or employee from an independent / small business
- Best market manager, operator, trader or farmer
- Best under 25 years old