NALC announces Star Council Awards 2023 finalists
The National Association of Local Councils (NALC) is thrilled to announce the prestigious Star Council Awards finalists. After an exhaustive evaluation process, our expert panel of judges has selected these exceptional individuals, councils and county associations as the best in their respective categories.
The Star Council Awards celebrates excellence and innovation in the local (parish and town) council sector, and this year's finalists have genuinely exemplified these qualities. We received many nominations from across the country, showcasing the remarkable achievements and contributions within the sector.
This year's finalists are:
Council of the Year
- Braunstone Town Council, Leicestershire and Rutland
- Newton on the Moor and Swarland Parish Council, Northumberland
- Sherborne Town Council, Dorset
- Stewartby and Kempston Hardwick Parish Council, Bedfordshire
- Wellington Town Council, Somerset
Councillor of the Year
- Cllr Lorna Berrett, Botley & North Hinksey Parish Council, Oxfordshire
- Cllr Bakul Kumar, Lickey and Backwell Parish Council, Worcestershire
- Cllr Sandra Miller, Eversley Parish Council, Hampshire
- Cllr Martine Naughton, Trull Parish Council, Somerset
- Cllr Mark Pengelly, Corby Town Council, Northamptonshire
Young Councillor of the Year
- Cllr Freya Davies, Flore Parish Council, Northamptonshire
- Cllr Cameron Palin, East Cowes Town Council, Isle of Wight
- Cllr Callum Reilly, Corby Town Council, Northamptonshire
- Cllr Josh Rowlands, Faversham Town Council, Kent
- Cllr Luca Webb, Chepping Wycombe Parish Council, Buckinghamshire
County Association of the Year
- Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes Association of Local Councils
- Essex Association of Local Councils
- Gloucestershire Association of Town and Parish Councils
- Warwickshire and West Midlands Association of Local Councils
- West Sussex Association of Local Councils
Clerk of the Year
- Andrea Mann, Odiham Parish Council, Hampshire
- Brie Logan, Shaftesbury Town Council, Dorset
- Carl Hearn, Tavistock Town Council, Devon
- Lisa Courtney, Saffron Walden Town Council, Essex
- Louise Dwelly, St Ives Town Council, Cornwall
- Ryan Hayman, Swanley Town Council, Kent
These finalists represent the pinnacle of achievement in the sector, and their dedication to excellence is truly commendable. NALC extends its heartfelt congratulations to each of them for reaching this significant milestone.
Cllr Keith Stevens, NALC chair, commented on the announcement and said, "Congratulations to all the finalists. Your outstanding achievements have placed you among the best in your field, and this recognition is well-deserved. Your hard work, dedication, and talent have shone through, and it's an honour to see you as a finalist for this prestigious award. Remember that being a finalist is an accomplishment in itself, and it reflects your commitment to excellence. Best of luck for the awards ceremony, and may your journey continue to be filled with success and inspiration. Your achievements serve as an inspiration to us all!"
The winners of the Star Council Awards will be announced during NALC's highly anticipated parliamentary reception, which will take place on 29 November 2023 at the House of Lords. This event promises to be a memorable celebration of the outstanding contributions made by these finalists.
Clear Councils Insurance, Aubergine, Blachere Illumination, Breakthrough Communications, CCLA, and DCK Accounting Solutions sponsor the Star Council Awards.